Author Topic: ENTROPY - Star Wars The Old Republic  (Read 14766 times)

Offline Agentbob

• Really Really Old
  • Guild Leader
  • Really, Really Awesome.
Re: ENTROPY - Star Wars The Old Republic
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2011, 08:14:33 AM »
For them to ask their customers to download a 19GB file in todays world of pay-per-usage is just ludicrous.  ???

Does your ISP Charge you for using over a certain amount? I've not seen this in my area and I'm about to switch providers. I hope this isn't something I should have to worry about. I know phone company's like Verizon charge if you use over a specific amount but I didn't think home ISP's did?

Offline Taurenamos

• [SWTOR] Shocktroop
  • Product of radioactive bird feed.
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 08:58:25 AM »

Xfinity doesn't charge pay-per-use. From what I read on their site, they have a 250 GB "limit" per month. I don't see it saying that it'll charge for overages, just that they'll try to work with the customer to try to keep them to that limit, cutting them off if they repeat the offense 3 times in a 6 month period.

I looked at my useage for the last 3 months:
Sep: 47GB
Oct: 74GB
Nov: 92GB

At this rate, I'm going to hit my monthly limit in like 7-8 months!

I'm sure other providers have their own plans and can do pay-per-use.

As far as that 19 GB download, I'm not sure how much of that will be in the packaging that you can buy at the store. So, I don't know how much is required for you to download to install vs. just installing from the DVD.

I mean, if you go back and download the original WoW, you'll prolly see the download as around 12 GB. Not a huge difference when you consider the differences in the number of cut-scenes used in SW.

Offline Knaw

• [WoW] Soldier
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 10:48:35 AM »
For them to ask their customers to download a 19GB file in todays world of pay-per-usage is just ludicrous.  ???

Does your ISP Charge you for using over a certain amount? I've not seen this in my area and I'm about to switch providers. I hope this isn't something I should have to worry about. I know phone company's like Verizon charge if you use over a specific amount but I didn't think home ISP's did?

Well actually now that TA mentions it they may not actually charge for overages like the phone companies do. Depending on where you live, I know some small podunk towns in Virgina cap you at 3GB per day and there is only one ISP who serves the area. Cox/Xfinity started doing the 250GB per moth dealy and they didn't even warn their customers about it, I just happened to be clicking through my profile on their website and saw it. Future generations of internet junkies will covet us one day.
"I think I am, therefore, I am. I think." -GC

Offline Taurenamos

• [SWTOR] Shocktroop
  • Product of radioactive bird feed.
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 12:19:22 PM »

Yeah, I think the smaller ISPs could have pay-per-use plans because the bigger companies put the squeeze on them for using their infrastructure. I think Canada had a big hubbub this year over this particular issue and recently settled on not allowing the usage-based billing (http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/11/canadian-regulators-ditch-usage-based-billing-for-independent-isps.ars). Instead, they do have the caps on usage, and for the most part, the caps are still fairly sizable.

My family use the internet a fair amount (Netflix streaming almost nightly for a couple hours, kids streaming cartoons from websites, kids playing on-line games, me playing on-line games), and my usage was still well under my cap.

Offline Abudan

• [WoW] Shocktroop
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
looks like emails will start on Dec 13 for when you will get into early access.

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20111207

Offline Abudan

• [WoW] Shocktroop
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2011, 03:07:25 PM »
i also noticed in that article that it says early access could be up to 7 days early. They had said before that it was 5...

Offline Agentbob

• Really Really Old
  • Guild Leader
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2011, 03:42:10 PM »
I was confused on that too. I think it means emails to WHEN you can get in will go out 7 days before release with early release starting on the 15th.

Though who knows, it's worded all fucked up.

Offline Agentbob

• Really Really Old
  • Guild Leader
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2011, 03:43:48 PM »
actually, you're right. Looks like it may start on the 13th.

FUCK ME

Offline Abudan

• [WoW] Shocktroop
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2011, 03:59:45 PM »
you will get an email the same day you get access it sounds like. which will start on the 13th. so they added 2 days to early access.

http://www.swtor.com/early-access

also here is a note about guild stuff

Are you a guild member through the Pre-Launch Guild Program?
Just prior to Early Game Access, you will be able to log in to swtor.com and visit the Guilds Headquarters to see if your guild was assigned a server and to play with them. You'll also see a flag next to a server name in-game if your guild is on that server. Visit the Guild FAQ for more details.

Offline unclejunk

• [SWTOR] Officer
  • I have a big bag of crabs
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2011, 09:13:35 PM »
The Old Republic
@SWTOR The Old Republic
Eager to find out what server your #SWTOR Guild will be placed on? Your Guild HQ update is coming on Monday!

Offline Abudan

• [WoW] Shocktroop
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2011, 11:16:37 AM »
We were assigned.

Allegiance to: The Sith Empire
    Server: Sith Wyrm
    English, US East (EST)
    Moderate (10-20 hrs/week), scheduled play sessions, chatty/talkative
    Founded on July 26, 2011, led by SkullKrusher
    22 members

Offline Phoolish

• [WoW] Soldier
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2011, 12:40:17 PM »
Yay they put us on same server. Allies ahoy!

If you want to check out our guild site we are at http://jive.enjin.com/home

I just took it live for most of the guild today so there is not a lot of activity yet. Have a guy designing me a custom header and background but it won't be ready till later this week and I did not want to wait any more with early release starting tomorrow.

See you all in general chat. My main toon will be Zac'nic at launch.

Offline Abudan

• [WoW] Shocktroop
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2011, 05:14:15 AM »
I'm in.

Offline Agentbob

• Really Really Old
  • Guild Leader
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2011, 05:49:01 AM »
Great Abu. I have not received my invite yet but I expect it tomorrow or the next day. Did you get an auto guild invite upon entering the game? Hows the server look?

Offline Abudan

• [WoW] Shocktroop
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2011, 07:43:28 AM »
when i created my first guy i was auto invited to the guild. for me it basically asked if i wanted to create the guild and join it. so i did. server was stable and quiet. i was one of like 45 on hutta and one of like 70 on koraban. so over all not to bad. hardly any lag. so not sure if that was due to less people or if they fixed it. only one real spot where i saw a mob jump to a spot.

i got to lvl 4 before i had to leave for work. dest logged on shortly before i left too. i did see phoolish on his guy too.